What is the Flower of Life?
What is the flower of life? I’ve been asked this question many times and I try to answer it the best I can. In short: This symbol called the “Flower of Life” or “life’s flower”
consists of 19 overlapping and interconnected circles. It always consists of 19 circles – no more and no less.
The Flower of Life originates in one circle and all other circles are built up around that. That means you begin by
drawing one circle and then continue drawing all the other circles around it. This symbol of the Flower of Life belongs to Sacred Geometry which believes
that all life is part of a divine, geometric plan. All structures known to us are following this plan. Evidently, the Flower of Life is a very important
geometric symbol. I will elaborate on this thought further on.
This is how the symbol should look like:
Many see in the Flower of Life a symbol that represents or depicts the cycle of creation. This symbol shows that all life and consciousness arises from one
source (this being the first circle).
The next 6 circles are identical with the cell division process. Therefore, the Flower of Life is seen as a model of God’s Creation. The name “Flower of
Life” stems not from a flower imagery but from the cycle of a fruit tree.
When observing this cycle we can see that the tree grows flower buds and these eventually transform into fruit (pear, cherry and so on). The fruit carries
the seed within and when the fruit falls on the ground these seeds eventually create new trees. This is the cycle which turns from tree to flower to fruit
and tree again. It’s fantastic and reveals the miracle of life :-).
The cycles of the Flower of Life
Let’s take a look at the several stages of the flower of life’s creation
The first circle
With the first circle our journey begins
The Egg of Life
The Fruit of Life
Flower of Life’s Symbolic and Geometric Meaning
The Flower of Life’s harmonic circular structure seems to magically attract us. As if this ornament is constantly changing, if you look closely, many
different forms and patterns become visible. This is what it felt like for me when I started to study the Flower of Life. I observed the symbol and
detected so many different things. If you then start using colors and paint the Flower of Life you will discover so much more.
Just like many other symbols and ornaments the Flower of Life carries a hidden message which you cannot simply decipher by yourself – you need a little help to read the message and this is what this website is for :-).
If you connect the several intersections you will get a new picture. This new ornament is called the Metatron’s Cube.
Platonic solids in Metatron’s Cube
If you look close enough you will discover these platonic solids within Metatron’s Cube. In his book “The Flower of Life” Drunvalo Melchizedek talks of a
so-called “Merkaba”, a star tetrahedron. This symbol can also be found in Metratron’s Cube. Following Drunvalo Melchizedek, the Merkaba is the energy field that surrounds us.
Drunvalo Melchizedek says that the most people’s Merkaba is not activated anymore. He explains in this book how the Merkaba can be activated again. I
practiced this sort of meditation for some time and will write about my experiences in a separate blog.
Isn’t it fascinating to see that such symbolism is hidden within the Flower of Life’s pattern? This fact awes me again and again. Harmonic symbols that
evolve without any outside force are called Sacred Geometry. I’m sure that everyone knows ordinary geometry where you construct shapes and forms by means of measurements. What is Sacred Geometry then?
Sacred Geometry = Harmonic (Whole) Proportions of the Earth
Sacred Geometry reveals the harmonic energy patterns by which nature creates and designs.
Sacred Geometry is a vital element in all spiritual traditions. Every tradition used a unique symbolic language to preserve their knowledge about the Geometry of the Universe and its design.
Christians = Cross
Jews = Tree of Life (Kabbalah)
Celts = Spirals, Triskele
Hindus = Sri Yantra, Swastika
Chinese = Yin Yang
One example for the importance of the Flower of Life in various religions (here Kabbalah)
Tree of Life – Judaism
In the Kabbalah every circle is aligned with one chakra, called Sephirot. Every chakra represents a certain space of energy in the human body. The Kabbalah
symbolizes the flow of energy in human bodies. If this flow of energy is blocked the energy can’t move freely.
The Flower of Life is of importance to many other cultures that either directly or indirectly knew of its meaning. Unfortunately, this knowledge has been
lost or merely exists in parts. The Flower of Life carries great spiritual potency. It cannot be denied as the symbol appeals to us, seemingly magical, on
a subconscious level.
Once, all life in the universe knew the Flower of Life as the creation pattern -- the geometrical design leading us into and out of physical existence. Then from a very high state of consciousness, we fell into darkness and forgot who we were. For thousands of years, the secret was held in ancient artifacts and carvings around the world and encoded in the cells of all life. Now we are rising up f...
Leonardo da Vinci and the Flower of Life
Leonardo da Vinci studied the Flower of Life and its mathematical properties. He drew the Flower of Life and various components such as the Seed of Life. In his artwork, da Vinci drew geometric figures and forms such as the platonic solids, a sphere, a torus and many more as well as the Golden Ratio of Phi. All of these forms can be derived from the Flower of Life.
Here are some of Leonardo da Vinci’s drawings:
Leonardo da Vinci‘s Vitruvian Man
Star of David Merkaba
Sacred Geometry Golden Ratio – Fibonacci Spiral
Flower of Life Symbolism around the World
Symbols that resemble the Flower of Life can be found in temples, churches, secular buildings, burial sites, art objects and manuscripts worldwide. Many cultures used this symbol in full knowledge of its power and potency.
In Egypt, for example, the Flower of Life is engraved in some parts of the Pyramids. The relevance of this symbol for the ancient Egyptians can also be
found in their temples. Some of the temple complexes were constructed with utter preciseness and harmony. Theoretically, this type of preciseness couldn’thave been possible at that time.
- This Flower of Life sign (Aka Seed of Life or Genesis Pattern) is estimated to be at least a 6000 year old symbol that can be used to bring positive energy to your sacred space.
- Perfectly cut from high quality sanded Birch Plywood. With measurements 12 inch diameter by 1/4 inch thick, this wall hanging art home decor looks great on any wall!
- We know you want to keep the vibes good and we assure you that this beautiful art piece is made from renewable biodegradable materials! It is Forest Stewardship Council certified! And we package your sacred symbols with recyclable and/or biodegradable packaging.
- With exact precision Sacred Geometry design, laser cut made, and packaged in Los Angeles California, USA.
- Great idea for gifts, home, office, reiki, yoga, acupuncture, massage and healing centers decorations. Wall decals, stencils, DIY art painting projects, a crystal grid, setting an intention of manifestation, a focal meditation point... the opportunities are abundant!
I will name some other places where Flower of Life imagery has been found: In a temple in Abydos (Egypt); in the Rama temple of Vijayanagara (India); in the Forbidden City (China); in Altenkirchen, the Apis-Altar in Dresden which belonged to Augustus II the Strong (Germany); in Gotland (Denmark); on the ceiling of a church in Maria Luschari (Italy); in the ruins of Pompeji (Italy); in an orthodox monastery in Kreta (Greece); in a church in Sörg (Austria); on a platte of the silver treasure of Augustus.
Write to me if you know of other places of importance where you have found the Flower of Life imagery.
An example of the Flower of Life ornament in Egyptian temple complexes, e.g. the Temple of Osiris in Abydos:
By Photograph taken by Ray Flowers and released to the public to use on Wikipedia without worry of copyright.Sloth monkey at English Wikipedia. (Ray Flowers) [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], from Wikimedia Commons
The Flower of Life as a sphere under the paw of a guardian lion in the Forbidden City in Peking, China:
By Adamantios (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
By Adamantios [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
In Altenkirchen, a city on the island of Rügen, there is a church of the 12th century and above the altar is a painted picture of a Flower of
Life with 6 flower buds. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of that, if you own one, please get in touch. Artifacts with the Flower of Life symbolism
that are far older than 2.500 years have also been found.
There is, for example, a bowl with mythical paintings which is dated back to the 8th or 7th
century BC (Cyprus).
How to Use the Flower of Life
The Flower of Life is put to use in many different ways nowadays, e.g. as a Flower of Life sticker (Flower of Life products) or a painting on
the wall. Many people like to wear the symbol as a pendant on a silver necklace.
You can also find the Flower of Life as drip mat for water carafes or fruit bowls. I also saw the symbol printed on beddings and sheets :-). As you see,
there are many possible ways to use of the symbol of the Flower of Life.
I started a new blog series where I test a variety of Flower of Life products and recommend those that I like. If you know a product I should try please
send me the name of the manufacturer and I will use it in my test series “Flower of Life Products”.
- STAMPED 925 STERLING SILVER - This high quality of flower of life pendant and chain is made from the finest sterling silver as indicated with 925 metal stamp. 925 sterling silver is made from 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. The copper is added to stabilize the silver so that it can hold its beautiful shape.
- NICKEL AND LEAD FREE - These beautiful pendant and necklace contain absolutely no nickel or lead, making them safe for people with nickel and lead allergies. Add this great of pendant and necklace to your jewelry collection and have peace of mind every time you wear them. Men or Women' Daily Jewelry and Gift for Your Important One.
- PENDANT NECKLACE - This flower of life pendant size 1.06 x 1.45 inches (height including the bail) The pendant comes with the sterling silver snake chain 18 inches long, Spring ring clasp, You can wear this of endearing necklace with a pair of jeans or wear them with a fancy dress to add a girlish or female.
- FLOWER OF LIFE DESIGN - The flower of life can be found in all major religions of the world. It contains the patterns of creation as they emerged from the "Great Void". Everything is made from the Creator's thought.
- GREAT AS A GIFT - This beautiful of flower of life pendant necklace in a pretty black velvet pouch would be a perfect gift for that special someone in your life. Buy these pendant necklace for your wife, daughter, sister, or best friend, and know that without a doubt you have purchased the perfect present for the any occasion, whether it is for mother's day, valentines-day, Christmas, graduation or their birthday.
Here you can find more interesting articles:
That’s it for the introductory part – more about the Flower of Life will follow in the upcoming blogs and articles.
Here you will find more interesting articles about the meaning, use and origin of the Flower of Life and much more.
If you have a special question regarding the Flower of Life just send me an E-mail or use the comments area or the contact form and I will try to answer your question as quickly as possible.